Policies and Procedures
Welcome to Studio A Center for Performing Arts, LLC and Studio A Birmingham, LLC. We are glad you have chosen our studio. We hope your whole family will enjoy our studio. These guidelines have been written to describe our program, goals, policies and the details that go into making each lesson as happy and successful as possible. Please study it, as it will answer many of your questions.
DRESS CODE AND SHOES FOR RECREATIONAL CLASSES ONLY
Intro Dance - Pink Ballet Shoes and activewear of any kind.
Tap/Hip Hop - Black tap shoes (any brand) and activewear of any kind.
Lyrical - Capezio Pirouette II shoes and tight fitting activewear.
Jazz - Tan Jazz shoes (any style and brand) and tight fitting activewear.
Jazz/Hip Hop - Tan Jazz shoes (any style and brand) and tight fitting activewear.
Ballet - Pink Ballet Shoes with a split sole that are best/cleanest fit (any brand), pink tights, and a black leotard.
Ballet/Lyrical - Capezio Pirouette II shoes and tight fitting activewear.
Tap - Black Capezio shoes with teletone taps for advanced dancers. Beginners may wear any brand, but not American Ballet Theater or Spotlights. We do not recommend a split sole tap shoe, as they may cause injury to feet and ankles. Activewear that does not cover the feet is also required.
Hip Hop - Sneakers that are not worn outside. For recital, your teacher will provide shoe style requirements. Activewear that helps the dancer feel the style such as loose sweatpants is also required
Check out shoes and class wear on our online store by clicking here
Our lessons are planned so that dancers will:
1. Recieve quality dance instruction in a safe environment.
2. Develop proper dance technique, and be given the opportunity to showcase their skills.
3. Receive individual attention and encouragement which develops a positive self image.
4. Learn self discipline and respect through interacting with others as a team.
5. Gain an appreciation for dance and movement as an artform.
6. Experience the joy of dance and performance.
STATEMENT OF PHILOSOPHY
1. We believe in the value of fair treatment of all people.
2. We believe teaching the art of dance is an honor.
3. We believe each student is an individual and should be treated with
respect and encouragement.
4. We believe bringing out the best in each dancer is important.
5. We believe that each child has different talents and it’s our job to
develop them to the fullest.
6. We believe that dance is a tool which can help children develop a
7. Children are always accepted to our studio regardless of race, creed,
national origin or sex.
The staff and management of Studio A spends countless hours in bringing you the nicest and cleanest studio. Please respect the property and its belongings.
Studio A reserves the right to have any vehicle towed (at the owner’s expense) that is not parked properly in the parking lot.
MONTHLY TUITION POLICY
Tuition is due on the 1st of each month. We accept cash, checks, Visa and Master Card. We also offer an automatic charge option. All checks should be made payable to Studio A. Tuition is the same amount each month regardless if it is a 3, 4 or 5 week month. Tuition is based on the flat rate per year and then divided into 9 payments, a 20% down payment and then 8 monthly installments. This amount is shown when you register online. During online registration you will be charged 2x the monthly payment or 20% as a down payment with the one time $20 registration fee. The remaining installments on the flat rate are due October-May on the first of the month. Money is not refunded for missed lessons for any reason. Account statements will be sent out monthly via email. There is a $10.00 late fee for all past due accounts. After the 10th of the month a $10.00 late fee will be added to your account. There is a $25.00 charge on all returned checks. If your account falls behind more than 2 months, you will be asked to pay your balance or your child’s enrollment my be cancelled. We allow for cancellation of classes until, January 1st of the season. If you wish to drop a class a drop form must be received to process this request. Your tuition will stop being billed the next month. Walled Lake Drop Form
PAYMENT PROCEDURE POLICY
The “billing contact” that you entered during web registration will be emailed monthly statements. You can also sign up for automatic payment or pay online via your customer portal.
A registration fee of $20.00 per new student is required at registration you will also be charged a down payment of 2x the monthly tuition installment shown. (This fee is nontransferable and nonrefundable.) Class availability is on a fist come basis.
MISSED CLASS MAKE UP POLICY
If a student misses a class it can be made up in a comparable class during the week. No refund will be given for missed classes.
SNOW OR BAD WEATHER POLICY
If Birmingham Schools are closed then Studio A Birmingham will be closed for morning classes, if Walled Lake Schools are closed then Studio A Walled Lake morning classes will be cancelled. An email will be sent by 2:30pm if evening classes are cancelled. Studio A does not give refunds for classes cancelled due to snow or bad weather conditions.
All costume payments are due by December 1st, a costume form will be emailed in November. We use Capezio Caramel tights unless otherwise specified by your teacher. Costumes can not be ordered unless they are paid in full. Once costumes are ordered there will be no refunds.
Private lessons are available at an extra charge. These may be used for extra practice if you have missed several lessons and need to catch up. Enrollment is very limited.
All studio news and information will be sent via email the address you entered during registration.
Attendance is taken at the beginning of each class. It is important that your child attends dance class every week. Good attendance is imperative, as absences and tardiness can hold back an entire class, and the studio cannot jeopardize its responsibilities to the rest of the class for one student. If a student misses too many lessons they may fall behind the rest of the class and may be asked not to perform in the recital.
DRESS REHEARSAL POLICY
A mandatory dress rehearsal will be held. All students must rehearse all of their numbers at the dress rehearsal or they will not be permitted to perform in the recital. Students must bring their entire costume including tights, make-up, and shoes.
To be held in late May or early June.
RECITAL AND RECITAL TICKET POLICY
All studio fees must be paid in full or your child will not be permitted to participate in the recital. Tickets will go on sale in May. Tickets can be purchased during your timeslot through online sales or purchased at the door. Seating is reserved. Your designated day to buy tickets is based on when you registered for classes for that season, those who were first to register will be able to pick their tickets first.
1. Students must wait inside the building to be picked up.
2. Please try to keep the lobby as quiet and clean as possible.
3. Students must use the cubbies for their belongings please do not set them on the lobby chairs, couch or floor
4. Please do not interrupt the teacher while the class is in session. If you need to speak to the teacher, please do so before or after the class.
5. Running and Tapping on the tile floor are not permitted in the lobby.
6. Please do not let children bang on the vending machines.
7. No tapping or knocking on the viewing windows.
8. We are not responsible for unsupervised children.
1. Only water is permitted in the dance rooms. You must keep all food and drinks in the lobby. Students are not permitted to chew gum in the dance room.
2. Absolutely no street shoes on the dance floor. (street shoes are what you wear into the building)
3. Dance shoes are not to be worn outside for any reason. They are to be worn inside only.
4. All students must be in proper dress code while attending class. Appropriate shoes must also be worn to all classes.
5.All tap shoes must be checked for loose screws each week to ensure that they will not damage our floors.
6. Class will be conducted with the doors closed. This will avoid any distraction from the lobby.
7. Children should not touch the mirrors or the viewing windows.
8. Absolutely no running in the classroom.
CHRONIC DISRUPTIVE BEHAVIOR POLICY
We will make every effort to work with the parents of children having difficulties in dance class. We are here to serve and protect all of our children, although; children displaying chronic disruptive behavior which has been determined to be upsetting to the physical or emotional well being of any other child, or teacher, may require the following actions:
The director may require the parent(s) of any child who attends the studio to meet for a conference. The problem will be defined on paper. Goals will be established and the parent will be involved in creating approaches towards solving the problem.
If the initial plan for helping the child fails, the parent(s) will again be required to meet with the director. Another attempt will be made to identify the problem outlining new approaches to the problem, and discuss the consequences if progress is not apparent.
When the previous attempts have been followed and no progress has been made towards solving the problem, the child may be suspended from the studio indefinitely. The studio may immediately suspend a child at anytime he/she exhibits a behavior, which is harmful to him/herself or others. A parent may be called at anytime the child exhibits uncontrollable behavior that cannot be modified by the instructor. That parent may be asked to take the child home immediately.
The studio reserves the right to cancel the enrollment of a child for the following reasons:
1. Non-payment or excessive late payment of fees.
2. Not observing the rules of the studio.
3. Child has special needs which we cannot adequately meet with our current staffing patterns.
4. Physical and/or verbal abuse of staff or children, by a parent or child.
You are the best judge of your child’s health and we trust you will not bring a sick child to the studio. However, if in the opinion of the teaching staff your child is sick, we will call you to come and pick-up your child. The following criteria will be considered in determining if your child must go home:
1. fever of 100 degrees or more
2. inflammation of the eyes
4. an incidence of diarrhea
5. communicable disease
Studio A Birmingham, LLC and Studio A Center for Performing Arts, LLC do not carry medical insurance for its students. It is required that all dance students be covered by their own family insurance policies and if injury occurs it its understood that the student’s own policy is your only source of reimbursement.